US3S Dodge Stealth and Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum

| Official Members List | Join US3S | News & Information| Sponsor List | US3S Stuff | 3S of the Month |

Go Back   US3S Dodge Stealth and Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum > Car Talk > Frequently Asked Questions and Answers

Frequently Asked Questions and Answers Before you ask a question, just double check here first. It is very possible that your answer will be found here.

Old - April 23rd, 2011, 09:28 AM
Uber Noober

95 3000GT Tapping and Smoking

We picked up a 95 3000GT Base a few weeks ago. The motor was whisper quiet, and showed no sign of smoking. After roughly 300 miles, my fiancee told me the car was making a noise. I had it idling while trying to pinpoint the noise. It sounds like it is coming from the rear head. I then took it for a drive and noticed it blew out a large puff of smoke. I know these cars are known for valve stem seals, and would explain the smoke, but would this cause a tapping sound? The noise is noticable at idle, then fades slightly as I accelerate, then gets louder when the RPM's are coming down. I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks.
Old - April 23rd, 2011, 01:45 PM

Re: 95 3000GT Tapping and Smoking

lifter peck
Old - April 23rd, 2011, 03:36 PM
STL Group
Parachute Panic Champion

Could be a collapsed lifter.. rocker could have came off.
Old - May 21st, 2011, 03:09 PM
Elite Member

You're only about 15 minutes from our shop, if you want to bring it by, we can take a look at it for you. We're right in Easton.