US3S Dodge Stealth and Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum

| Official Members List | Join US3S | News & Information| Sponsor List | US3S Stuff | 3S of the Month |

Go Back   US3S Dodge Stealth and Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum > Car Talk > Stealth and 3000GT General Info

Stealth and 3000GT General Info General Questions and Comments regarding the Stealth and 3000GT. Newbie questions welcome.

Old - March 25th, 2010, 12:29 PM

Symptoms of a bad timing belt tensioner

Ok here is my situation. 2 weeks ago I got my 3k back from my mechanic and it has been running fine since. It was there to replace a bad piston in the #1 cylinder. I also had the head rebuilt by another garage that was highly recommended by my mechanic. Yesterday I noticed that my oil level was extremely low. I took the car back and found out that during the reassembly process the mechanic failed to put on the new cam gear seals which I have provided him with btw. As a result, almost all of my oil leaked out through the old ones. We took the timing belt cover off and found the timing belt soaked in oil and the belt looked a little off. The mechanic starts pulling on the belt and then it jumped a tooth, now i can't start it. He is saying I have a bad timing belt tensioner and is the reason the belt is loose, but I think the oil that leaked out from the worn cam seals caused the belt to stretch. He is not going to honor the warranty he gave me (He says the oil leak is not enough of factor to stretch the belt). I haven't noticed any strange noises or squeals from any of the belts when I would drive the car...What are the symptoms of a bad timing belt tensioner? Wouldn't the ecu shut down the car if it senses bad timing?
Thanks in advance

Last edited by SkyLynx; - March 25th, 2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old - March 25th, 2010, 01:06 PM
US3S Member

Re: Symptoms of a bad timing belt tensioner

The car wouldn't run if it skipped, or at the least not well. I'd take it to another shop and have them give you their opinion. Then call a lawyer with the info the new mechanic gave you and see what you can do.
Old - March 25th, 2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr4gto View Post
The car wouldn't run if it skipped, or at the least not well. I'd take it to another shop and have them give you their opinion. Then call a lawyer with the info the new mechanic gave you and see what you can do.
Exactly...Now the timing has jumped because he pulled on the belt. I'm going back later this afternoon to watch him check the tensioner. If it was the tensioner like he said I would be hearing a slapping sound or humming sound coming from the belt right? Followed by a CEL?. Or the car would turn off..Its a good thing i checked the oil yesterday. It barely marked on the dipstick. All this because he failed to put on those new cam seals. If he doesn't follow through with the warranty I'm going to take it somewhere else.
Old - March 25th, 2010, 01:26 PM
US3S Member

Regardless, he should of did the cam seals and it's his fault. Kick him in the nuts and tell him to get to work.
Old - March 25th, 2010, 09:00 PM

Ok first of all this mecanic sounds like a tool.When he rebuilt the head ect..he should have got a new tensionor thats like the cheapest part of the tune up.I gurantee the oil stretched the belt and even if it din't he skipped a tooth anyway.I'd get my money back and bring it somewhere else.Proably when he gets the motor back together he wont tension the belt enough and you will need head work again.Take it to a Mits dealer or do some research and do it yourself.Or search on this site for someone that is close to you that can do it.Alot of people that work on "tuner cars" think the vr4 is just as easy and you ask Evo owners the 6g72 is a pitfa to work on and if you dont get it right you will pay for it.My modo is pay only once and get it done right becasue if you don't you will be paying alot more.
Old - March 25th, 2010, 09:18 PM

I stopped by the garage to check on the car. The head mechanic wasn't there but I spoke to another mechanic that is actually doing all the engine work, he seems honest and he confirmed that the tensioner is fine. And that it was most likely the oil that caused the belt stretch just like I said. I was explaining to him that if the tensioner was bad, the car would have jumped timing while I was driving. So tomorrow i'm going to bring this information to the owner's attention. The oil probably damaged my alternator as well. It had alot of oil on it.
Old - March 25th, 2010, 09:59 PM
US3S Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLynx View Post
I stopped by the garage to check on the car. The head mechanic wasn't there but I spoke to another mechanic that is actually doing all the engine work, he seems honest and he confirmed that the tensioner is fine. And that it was most likely the oil that caused the belt stretch just like I said. I was explaining to him that if the tensioner was bad, the car would have jumped timing while I was driving. So tomorrow i'm going to bring this information to the owner's attention. The oil probably damaged my alternator as well. It had alot of oil on it.
Good to hear, kinda. Hopefully they fix it the correct way.
Old - March 26th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Post Whore

With any luck, if it gets down to heated debate the honest-sounding mechanic will stick up for you and tell this doofus he's full of it.

The head guy sounds kinda like my old boss...he got into an industry due to the thought of making a quick buck (I can charge $100/hour, I'll be rich inside a year!!!1!), not due to passion for the subject matter, and unfortunately you're the one paying the price.

BUT, that's my impression through the thread, it may not be true since I don't know the guy.

Gone, but never forgotten.

-------------------------------------------------

It's better not to race and think your car slow than drop the hammer and remove all doubt.

Mods:
Raceconcepts Slotted/Dimpled rotors
3SX Underweight crank pulley
Fidenza Flywheel & Spec Stage1 Clutch
AWS Deletion
4" K&N Cone
Exhaust: 3SX Downpipe -> Random Tech Cat -> HKS D2 Catback
Tomei BOV

Mods in Boxes:

Currently Broken:
Noisy Idler
Old - March 31st, 2010, 03:44 PM

I got the car back today. The cam seals have been replaced. So far there is no CEL and there is no rough idle. I checked the timing belt and the marks are aligned and the belt seems to be tensioned correctly. The mechanic didn't charge me anything. I took it for a test drive and everything looks good except for a slight humming noise coming from the timing belt covers. The mechanic said the noise was due to a warped lower timing belt cover and should be replaced. The noise is intermittent. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement cover?
Thanks
Old - April 1st, 2010, 06:46 AM
Drifffto

3si or ebay for a used one and Cherry Hill Mitsubishi for a new one. I would check what a new one would run and then if it's more than you want to spend I would look for a used one.
Old - April 1st, 2010, 08:34 AM

Thanks...I found some on 3sx too. On a side note, I was reviewing my invoice from the garage and they gave me 5w-30 oil. I told them several times I use 10w-30. I questioned them about it and they said that weight of oil was better for the lifters. Does that sound correct?