US3S Dodge Stealth and Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum

| Official Members List | Join US3S | News & Information| Sponsor List | US3S Stuff | 3S of the Month |

Go Back   US3S Dodge Stealth and Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum > Modifications > SOHC

SOHC Nobody forgot about you guys. 1st and 2nd gen will be included in here

Old - January 11th, 2005, 07:49 PM

valve job

hey guys i am thinking about getting a valve job becuase my car smokes soo bad. the guy that i talked to said it would cost about $700 much better then the tallahassee mitsubishi that wanted $1500. im just not sure if its worth putting that much money into a sohc the car is in perfect condition though i have a dohc engine and a 5 speed transmission that is perfect but i was told it would be a fortune to put that it. but im pretty sure that i will just get the valve job and try to find another 3000 or stealth that needs an engine and transmission. do you guys think that 700 is a resonable price?thanks
Old - January 11th, 2005, 08:59 PM
US3S Member

I'm still pretty new to the 3S platform, but I've checked into converting my SOHC to a DOHC and have found prices ranging from $2000-$4000 including the engine and all other necessary parts and labor. Since you have the engine, it may be less.

Think about this though, when discussing engine swaps and all, a lot of people say that you should just save the money and buy a different car, like the TT. I finally hit www.autotrader.com and found that there are twin turbos close to my area (within 300 miles or so) for $5000 and up that seem to be in great shape. I have now changed my outlook on things. If I start putting some money back now, combine that with some of my tax refund and then put some more back, I can get a TT within a year to a year and a half, which is also when my SOHC is paid off. Then I can sell it for mods for the TT.

Just something else to think about. Of course, this has nothing at all to do with the price of a valve job. I am just commenting on your thoughts about just dropping the other engine in.
US3S Member #92

My Cardomain Page

Last edited by Danin Re'; - January 11th, 2005 at 09:03 PM.
Old - January 11th, 2005, 09:18 PM
US3S Member

If the car is running great, you don't need a valve job. If it smokes all the time, you probably need piston rings. If it smokes only at start up and then geos away after a little while, you probably need valve guide seals is all.
Another simple thing that causes smoke is a blocked or malfunctioning crank case vent, so that is the first thing to check.
Rings = check compression and do a leak down test.
Valve guide seals = If the above symptoms are present. Cost should only be a couple hundred to replace them. The heads do not need to be pulled.
Go to a few shops for diagnosis, don't just take the word of one.
Old - January 12th, 2005, 11:19 AM

it smokes when stopped or right when i hit the gas it gets worse as the engine gets hot. do u guys know what to replace for that because i want to make sure it is fixed if i drop that kind of money.
Old - January 12th, 2005, 04:44 PM
US3S Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth15
it smokes when stopped or right when i hit the gas it gets worse as the engine gets hot. do u guys know what to replace for that because i want to make sure it is fixed if i drop that kind of money.
Like I said, it could be the rings or as simple as crank case ventilation (PCV valve) Replace the PCV valve and see if that helps. If not, do a compresion check and a leak down test and that will tell you the condition of your piston rings. What you describe doesn't sound like valve guide seals. Bad valves or non sealing valves do not cause oil buring, so you don't need a valve job. Certainly not if it runs and idles fine.
Old - January 12th, 2005, 05:55 PM

whats weird is that i dont think im actually burning oil, because i checked the oil levels and its full i know the smoke smells very much like gas and its blue, but that may just be from the testpipe
Old - January 12th, 2005, 09:58 PM
US3S Member

Blue smoke is oil burning. It doesn't take much to create the smoke, so an oil level drop shouldn't be dramatic. Gas or running extremely rich is dark greyish to black smoke. Coolant leaking into the combustion chambers is white smoke.
Old - January 13th, 2005, 01:26 AM

Wow 700 dollars?? thats cheaper then the 1500 i was offered at the mitsubishi place in dallas. Where cani find a great price like that? my car smokes too but not too bad
Old - January 14th, 2005, 04:34 PM
3S parts man

Quote:
hey guys i am thinking about getting a valve job becuase my car smokes soo bad. the guy that i talked to said it would cost about $700 much better then the tallahassee mitsubishi that wanted $1500. im just not sure if its worth putting that much money into a sohc the car is in perfect condition though i have a dohc engine and a 5 speed transmission that is perfect but i was told it would be a fortune to put that it. but im pretty sure that i will just get the valve job and try to find another 3000 or stealth that needs an engine and transmission. do you guys think that 700 is a resonable price?thanks
that price is way to high.if you could do the labor of pulling the heads and installing them you could get it done alot cheaper.not sure where you are located but i have a machine shop i use and they do all my valve jobs.they do great work.
Old - January 14th, 2005, 10:30 PM

im located in tallahassee florida yes i thought about doing them myself and im just worried about the back valves being hard to get to, the fronts look easy. i just got a quote of the all the parts i would need to do this at discount and it was over 350
Old - January 15th, 2005, 11:13 AM
3S parts man

Quote:
im located in tallahassee florida yes i thought about doing them myself and im just worried about the back valves being hard to get to, the fronts look easy. i just got a quote of the all the parts i would need to do this at discount and it was over 350
a sohc should not be that much to have done.i will check with my machine shop and see what i can get the stuff for and let you know on monday.
Old - January 23rd, 2005, 11:41 AM

ok my car used to smoke only when stopped and taking off so i switched to rotella synthetic oil, the next 2 days after that my car was smoke free, but on the third day it was really bad and it kept getting worse and now instead of just when stopped or taking off it is smoking while driving also. i dont understand why it would go away for 2 days and then just come back and be so much worse?
Old - January 23rd, 2005, 12:09 PM

$700? $1,500? WTF?

I got my valve steam seals replaced, fixed 4 valves, milled the head for BOTH heads for $200. That's a deal but $1,500 is ridiculous.