US3S Dodge Stealth and Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum

| Official Members List | Join US3S | News & Information| Sponsor List | US3S Stuff | 3S of the Month |

Go Back   US3S Dodge Stealth and Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum > Car Talk > Stealth and 3000GT General Info

Stealth and 3000GT General Info General Questions and Comments regarding the Stealth and 3000GT. Newbie questions welcome.

Old - October 2nd, 2003, 12:51 PM
US3S Member

Question Timing belt replacement cost?

Hello,
I finally found time to put the Stealth back together last weekend, man I am really impressed with the amount of power this thing has stock, I can't wait to hop it up, I replaced some lifters and when I put it back together the Timing belt looked great, the car only has 40k sumthing on it so I figured Id wait to the 60k to replace it, well last night I was messing with a buddy of mine that has a 92 Supra with a ton of mods, and after I dusted his ass I heard a thumping from under the hood, it was a chunk of the timing belt hitting the underside of the belt covers, I parked it and came home got my car trailor and went and picked it up, I wanted no chance of it breaking on me, what all this ranting boils down to is I dont have the time to fix it anytime soon and really want to drive it, I found a guy local that has a High performance shop for steet cars, he used to work for Mitsubishi and now owns his own shop, he had about five of our motors sitting around his shop doing performance work on them, I feel comfortable about him doing the work, he said it would run me $400.00 total with a good belt, is this a good price? I know I could probably do it myself but I really dont want to screw up the topend. I love this car, I see us having a long love/hate realationship.
AirKooled
92 Stealth R/T TT
Old - December 24th, 2003, 08:54 AM

Sounds like mine is doing the same thing. I bought this car only a month ago, with reciepts for the timing belt & water pump replaced at 110,000miles. It now has 116,000miles. There is this loud clinking I hear at Idle, but I can tell when I drive it, It's not the notorious valve probem nor is it missing. My mech is looking at it today, and will let me know. He also says it's a 400.00 job. I trust him with all my rides... Can you give me an update on your car???
Old - December 24th, 2003, 12:46 PM

Re: Timing belt replacement cost?

Quote:
Originally posted by AirKooled
Hello,
I finally found time to put the Stealth back together last weekend, man I am really impressed with the amount of power this thing has stock, I can't wait to hop it up, I replaced some lifters and when I put it back together the Timing belt looked great, the car only has 40k sumthing on it so I figured Id wait to the 60k to replace it, well last night I was messing with a buddy of mine that has a 92 Supra with a ton of mods, and after I dusted his ass I heard a thumping from under the hood, it was a chunk of the timing belt hitting the underside of the belt covers, I parked it and came home got my car trailor and went and picked it up, I wanted no chance of it breaking on me, what all this ranting boils down to is I dont have the time to fix it anytime soon and really want to drive it, I found a guy local that has a High performance shop for steet cars, he used to work for Mitsubishi and now owns his own shop, he had about five of our motors sitting around his shop doing performance work on them, I feel comfortable about him doing the work, he said it would run me $400.00 total with a good belt, is this a good price? I know I could probably do it myself but I really dont want to screw up the topend. I love this car, I see us having a long love/hate realationship.
AirKooled
92 Stealth R/T TT
Not a bad price. The cost of the belt and the friggin pulleys and shit is $100-$200 plus labor is a bitch.

Just do the water pump, belts, and the remaining 60K and be done with it.
Old - December 29th, 2003, 01:02 PM

Looks like I got lucky!
While sitting in the shop idling - she just died. (never happened before) and didn't start back up- ie. jumped time
SO...
I had to replace a 6 month old timing belt and tensioner JUST to see if any REAL damage was done to the engine

Marv (my mech) called me today and said I got lucky (Damn, I HAD to catch a br4eak SOMETIME this year) and the tensioner alone fixed it -- no compression loss. all looks well for now, and hopefully it will all be back together for a new year's cruise to Chicago for a sweet-ass PARTAAAY!

now back to the I.C.E. project... I should have most of the hardware installed first of next week, and I'll post pics once someone shows me how here...

P.S. check out pics of my OTHER babies (my BMWs) here:
http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...page_id=356069

No pics up of the 3KGT cause nothin's done yet...
Just picked it up a month ago. I'm lookin' at first of the year to start posting pics of the interior work. (no exterior work till spring

Holla!