US3S Dodge Stealth and Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum

| Official Members List | Join US3S | News & Information| Sponsor List | US3S Stuff | 3S of the Month |

Go Back   US3S Dodge Stealth and Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum > Car Talk > General Banter

General Banter Discuss anything about cars in general. Not dedicated to the 3S platform only.

Old - June 3rd, 2012, 10:48 PM
STL Group

Re: STL summer thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluespire View Post
Just so you know, ". . . I could go and do what ever I want and be fine. But lets just say i lose control and go into the wall at 120 or something insurance wouldn't be covered and my parents wouldn't get monies if I die" is not true. Your insurance will pay out as any other premium life insurance will. There are not provisions on it (suicide MIGHT be the only one, but I don't know anyone in a position to confirm or deny that). It just doesn't have any war clauses.

There was a time when I think the insurance companies tried to not pay if you didn't have a seat-belt on, or a helmet on, but that concept got nixed long ago.
Yes for commercial insurance. Not for military insurance. And Dan is referring to MILITARY insurance. You see, when you are active duty, or during drill weekends, annual training, or other duty for reservists, the military has SPECIFIC guidelines which MUST be followed or the medical and life insurance may not cover it. For instance, when riding a motorcycle, you MUST wear a REFLECTIVE VEST or the military will not cover you. End of story. Period. Same goes for partaking in any "risk" activity, say it be sky diving, scuba diving, or car racing. If you don't follow the written regulations, not only can you be summary disciplined, the military won't cover you. By Dan having his commander sign off on the activity, the military will cover it AND Dan won't get in trouble.

@Dan - Sara says "Poor Danimal" . . . for having to get your commander to sign off on this . . .
Remember, if it's not a Clone, it's just a copy!

Get Chromed!
Donate Now and receive a coupon code for the amount of your donation (up to $50.00 US) which you can apply at check out for a Clone2 ECU, Plug n Play Harness, or Clone2 Plug n Play Package!!
1999 3000GT VR4
Glacier Pearl White
Yeah it's stock . . . trust me
How To Contact Me:
eMail: brett_farnam@yahoo.com
US3S/3SGTO: 99 vr4
3SI: bfarnam
Old - June 3rd, 2012, 10:56 PM
Danis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 vr4 View Post
Yes for commercial insurance. Not for military insurance. And Dan is referring to MILITARY insurance. You see, when you are active duty, or during drill weekends, annual training, or other duty for reservists, the military has SPECIFIC guidelines which MUST be followed or the medical and life insurance may not cover it. For instance, when riding a motorcycle, you MUST wear a REFLECTIVE VEST or the military will not cover you. End of story. Period. Same goes for partaking in any "risk" activity, say it be sky diving, scuba diving, or car racing. If you don't follow the written regulations, not only can you be summary disciplined, the military won't cover you. By Dan having his commander sign off on the activity, the military will cover it AND Dan won't get in trouble.
+1 i've heard of tons of stories where people died or broke their leg or something and it wasn't covered.

Example:
Guy was on leave or something and while driving home he decided to stop at his friends house along the way. They got working on the friends jeep while drinking and one thing lead to another and they got the jeep running. While dunk they thought it would be fine to go test drive it to make sure.

Both died and no money was given for life insurance because of the circumstances.
We get briefings every weekend not to Drink and Drive.

But by me getting a "briefing" to be safe while racing, follow rules, I'm good as long as I don't do something dumb. But what Chris said is a good thing to bring up to them though that there is no "reward" or "standings," would make it a faster talk.

1993 3000GT VR4- Lightly "Von-afied"
2007 Suzuki SV650s- Stock
1996 3000GT SL- SOLD 9/18/06-8/30/09
"I got one gear, GO!" - Charlie Sheen
Old - June 3rd, 2012, 10:58 PM
noob

Quote:

@Dan - Sara says "Poor Danimal" . . . for having to get your commander to sign off on this . . .
This is what is SAID, all the time. But it's actually not true. Military insurance will pay regardless of seat-belts and helmets. It's a scare tactic. Military insurance is the best insurance on the planet, really, as long as you are eligible. Though it is not the cheapest, unfortunately.

I have known this for years, and forgot my direct source, but here is a quick source from online. The company appears to provide financial advice for military members:
http://militarymoneymight.com/2009/0...rcycle-helmet/

And here is the official source:
http://www.insurance.va.gov/SGLISITE...ythsRumors.htm
Old - June 3rd, 2012, 10:59 PM
STL Group

Re: Summer General BS Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer View Post
For Von and Chris per yesterday's texts: http://gizmodo.com/5915176/30000-pho...and-time+lapse
Pretty effin awesome

Get Chromed!
Donate Now and receive a coupon code for the amount of your donation (up to $50.00 US) which you can apply at check out for a Clone2 ECU, Plug n Play Harness, or Clone2 Plug n Play Package!!
1999 3000GT VR4
Glacier Pearl White
How To Contact Me:
Old - June 3rd, 2012, 11:00 PM
noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative View Post
+1 i've heard of tons of stories where people died or broke their leg or something and it wasn't covered.

Example:
Guy was on leave or something and while driving home he decided to stop at his friends house along the way. They got working on the friends jeep while drinking and one thing lead to another and they got the jeep running. While dunk they thought it would be fine to go test drive it to make sure.

Both died and no money was given for life insurance because of the circumstances.
We get briefings every weekend not to Drink and Drive.

But by me getting a "briefing" to be safe while racing, follow rules, I'm good as long as I don't do something dumb. But what Chris said is a good thing to bring up to them though that there is no "reward" or "standings," would make it a faster talk.
Find the REAL source, and I might believe it. On the other hand, these rumors are so pervasive throughout the military that it is possible the family did not fight for their right to the money, because they thought their cause was lost.
Old - June 3rd, 2012, 11:03 PM
noob

Is it normal for a 3S battery to die after 3 months of not using the car? Or do I need to track down a power draw?
Old - June 3rd, 2012, 11:08 PM
STL Group

Quote:
This is what is SAID, all the time. But it's actually not true. Military insurance will pay regardless of seat-belts and helmets. It's a scare tactic. Military insurance is the best insurance on the planet, really, as long as you are eligible. Though it is not the cheapest, unfortunately.

I have known this for years, and forgot my direct source, but here is a quick source from online. The company appears to provide financial advice for military members:
http://militarymoneymight.com/2009/0...rcycle-helmet/

And here is the official source:
http://www.insurance.va.gov/SGLISITE...ythsRumors.htm
I was not aware that the SGLI covered some of the items listed on the VA website. That is good info.

Nevertheless I was referring mostly to the medical insurance portion and the fact that if you don't have permission to partake in certain risk activities you are violating regulations and policy. And just as the SGLI won't cover you if you are found guilty of desertion, mutiny, etc, the medical side won't cover you if you are violating military policy. Not to mention the Article 15s and UCMJ action that can result . . . no one wants to get demoted to E-Fuzzy and lose their pay for a year. And yes, they can do that.

Get Chromed!
1999 3000GT VR4
Glacier Pearl White
How To Contact Me:
Old - June 3rd, 2012, 11:12 PM
STL Group

Quote:
Is it normal for a 3S battery to die after 3 months of not using the car? Or do I need to track down a power draw?
Yeah . . . LOL

You need to pull the IOD or STORAGE connector. There is a little yellow or white connector in the under hood fuse box. You pull it straight up. It won't come all the way out. It disconnects the car battery from all of the things that are normally powered up like the radio, ECU, and lighting, etc.

Get Chromed!
1999 3000GT VR4
Glacier Pearl White
How To Contact Me:
Old - June 3rd, 2012, 11:16 PM
noob

Quote:
Yeah . . . LOL

You need to pull the IOD or STORAGE connector. There is a little yellow or white connector in the under hood fuse box. You pull it straight up. It won't come all the way out. It disconnects the car battery from all of the things that are normally powered up like the radio, ECU, and lighting, etc.
Well, that's good to know. I didn't mean to not drive the car for so long, it just happened. Hopefully autozone will replace my battery under warranty with no questions asked.
Old - June 4th, 2012, 04:36 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Well, that's good to know. I didn't mean to not drive the car for so long, it just happened. Hopefully autozone will replace my battery under warranty with no questions asked.
Just take it to get charged, or jump the car and let the car charge it. Or was it a bad battery already?
Old - June 4th, 2012, 05:07 AM
noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlacasse1 View Post
Just take it to get charged, or jump the car and let the car charge it. Or was it a bad battery already?
I bought just before NG last year, IIRC. I took it yesterday to get charged, but the guys initial note was that it was all the way down, so only charging would determine if the battery is still good. Won't be able to pick it up until after Aandahl gets home.
Old - June 4th, 2012, 08:44 AM
WWVD
Bounceback Champion, Bugz Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Nevertheless I was referring mostly to the medical insurance portion and the fact that if you don't have permission to partake in certain risk activities you are violating regulations and policy. And just as the SGLI won't cover you if you are found guilty of desertion, mutiny, etc, the medical side won't cover you if you are violating military policy. Not to mention the Article 15s and UCMJ action that can result . . . no one wants to get demoted to E-Fuzzy and lose their pay for a year. And yes, they can do that.
This is the most important part. If the commander requires that a chit be signed to perform some activity, and you perform said activity without permission, you are taking a risk. And as such with the military, the punishment can be quite severe for something that could be considered "trivial" as far as the civilian world is concerned.

I mean, your applicable insurance would most likely cover whatever medical procedures resulted from whatever said accident you may incur, however, the other consequences (disciplinary as a result of not following orders/policy) could be quite severe. One guy I served with got a Page 11 entry for getting severly sunburnt over the weekend at the beach, that caused him to miss a day of work at medical getting treated, for example.) That Page 11 entry caused him to get passed over for promotion once.

And as Brett also mentioned, the penalty can get even more severe, such as reduction in rank, Office Hours/Captain's Mass, restriction, loss of pay, or any other of ridiculous things.

And, the CO's have quite a bit of additional powers at their discretion as well. The CO may very well be able to deny the insurance claim with a letter or other document/vehicle, to really screw you over.

So...the moral of the story is that you're in the military, so just do what you need to do and follow orders really. (Which I know you're already doing, Dan.)

Just don't like the misinformation flying around.
Old - June 4th, 2012, 08:44 AM
WWVD
Bounceback Champion, Bugz Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
I bought just before NG last year, IIRC. I took it yesterday to get charged, but the guys initial note was that it was all the way down, so only charging would determine if the battery is still good. Won't be able to pick it up until after Aandahl gets home.
Buy you're own battery charger, they are like 20 bucks at Walmart or Harbor Freight or the internet.
Old - June 4th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Drifffto

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedragon View Post
Buy you're own battery charger, they are like 20 bucks at Walmart or Harbor Freight or the internet.
A good one will be closer to $40 but is well worth it imo.
Old - June 4th, 2012, 12:17 PM
STL Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedragon View Post
Or harbor freight in south county... They are having massive weekend sales for fathers day... I think they start on the the ninth...

Get Chromed!
1999 3000GT VR4
Glacier Pearl White
How To Contact Me: