US3S Dodge Stealth and Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum

| Official Members List | Join US3S | News & Information| Sponsor List | US3S Stuff | 3S of the Month |

Go Back   US3S Dodge Stealth and Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum > Car Talk > General Banter

General Banter Discuss anything about cars in general. Not dedicated to the 3S platform only.

Old - January 21st, 2013, 01:55 PM
Danis

Re: Winter General BS Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative View Post
Good I'm gpad we agree i wanna say he paid 400 to get that put in with the head unit

i could of donr the quality of work for 100
Don't remote Desktop to your PC from an iPhone and try and type, Auto correct doesn't work :-(

1993 3000GT VR4- Lightly "Von-afied"
2007 Suzuki SV650s- Stock
1996 3000GT SL- SOLD 9/18/06-8/30/09
"I got one gear, GO!" - Charlie Sheen
Old - January 21st, 2013, 04:25 PM
Drifffto

Just to be clear, did they fabricate the portion behind the amp? Not the board that the amp in the middle is mounted to but the portion that said board is screwed to?

Also is that just a simple pre-fab box for the sub that you can only see the top of?
Old - January 21st, 2013, 04:29 PM
Danis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95gto View Post
Just to be clear, did they fabricate the portion behind the amp? Not the board that the amp in the middle is mounted to but the portion that said board is screwed to?

Also is that just a simple pre-fab box for the sub that you can only see the top of?
I am fairly confident that you are speaking of the "box" covering gas tank...
If that is the case then no.

I will get the rundown tomorrow.

1993 3000GT VR4- Lightly "Von-afied"
2007 Suzuki SV650s- Stock
1996 3000GT SL- SOLD 9/18/06-8/30/09
"I got one gear, GO!" - Charlie Sheen
Old - January 21st, 2013, 11:01 PM
My car blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr4rieders View Post
Thanks for the link.
Unbelievable the BS we put up with our selection of new cars and their supposed hybred efficiencies.... More like inbreeding of our big auto manufacturers... SaD.
As for modding electrics, easy for a Electrical and Electronic Eningeer... Is is after all about blck boxes and pulse width modluation control coupled with brushless motor technology. Add a supplemental power supply and you have a race car. Build it with light weight materials (NOT STEEL) and you have a lightweight speed machine with ultra high efficiency and power/range to spare.
we the public need to make it so.
Car looks good larry. glad to see you finally have it back. I will have to grab a ride some time.
Old - January 22nd, 2013, 08:48 PM
STL Group

Luci,

Any insight into LTE Capable Android Tablets? The offerings available are... less than optimal from what I'm seeing.

Looking on the Verizon network.
Old - January 22nd, 2013, 10:43 PM
Elite Member

Had to replace my 7 year old car battery today in the VR4.

Does anyone have any good suggestions on some speakers and a head unit for my VR4. I'm not huge into systems (maybe someday I'll have a SMALL sub), and I'm perfectly content with 6x9s as long as they provide good sound and decent base, I know they won't be anything crazy though. I'm planning on replacing the head unit and all speakers.

Suggestions.......Go!
Old - January 23rd, 2013, 09:53 AM
Drifffto

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlacasse1 View Post
Had to replace my 7 year old car battery today in the VR4.

Does anyone have any good suggestions on some speakers and a head unit for my VR4. I'm not huge into systems (maybe someday I'll have a SMALL sub), and I'm perfectly content with 6x9s as long as they provide good sound and decent base, I know they won't be anything crazy though. I'm planning on replacing the head unit and all speakers.

Suggestions.......Go!
What year is your car?

Due to how the audio system is setup in these cars I would make the following suggestions:

1) Put a component set in the front. The dash speakers are typically beyond shot and a set of coaxial or three way 6.5's in the doors won't sound quite right.
2) On 2nd gen cars I recomend integrating the stock amp as its output power is better than any head unit on the market. But if you want to really up the ante you can always do the Alpine power pack amp. It can be hooked up using stock amp wiring and puts out more power than the stock amp.
3) If you aren't going to run a sub I would strongly recomend focusing on getting better bass response and less treble from your 6x9's. Typically that means a set of 2-way 6x9's.

Other than that you need to go to store and put your ears to work. Good sound is highly subjective and dependent on the type of music you listen to. I personally like the Infinity Kappa line. For the price they are very good and if you buy them online they are very reasonably priced. The down side is that you will still spend around $250 on set of components and 6x9's.

As for a head unit I would recomend finding something with at least 3 sets of pre-outs, and that the pre-out voltage be 3.5v or higher. That way if you ever want to do a bigger build you can.
Old - January 23rd, 2013, 12:36 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95gto View Post
What year is your car? It's a 92.

Due to how the audio system is setup in these cars I would make the following suggestions:

1) Put a component set in the front. The dash speakers are typically beyond shot and a set of coaxial or three way 6.5's in the doors won't sound quite right. Doable, I don't have an issue ripping out the dash, I will have to pull a bit of shit anyways here in a bit to replace the head unit and climate control, might as well go all out. lol

2) On 2nd gen cars I recomend integrating the stock amp as its output power is better than any head unit on the market. But if you want to really up the ante you can always do the Alpine power pack amp. It can be hooked up using stock amp wiring and puts out more power than the stock amp. For the 6x9s, correct? Wouldn't mind doing that.

3) If you aren't going to run a sub I would strongly recomend focusing on getting better bass response and less treble from your 6x9's. Typically that means a set of 2-way 6x9's. This much I had planned.

Other than that you need to go to store and put your ears to work. Good sound is highly subjective and dependent on the type of music you listen to. I personally like the Infinity Kappa line. For the price they are very good and if you buy them online they are very reasonably priced. The down side is that you will still spend around $250 on set of components and 6x9's.

As for a head unit I would recomend finding something with at least 3 sets of pre-outs, and that the pre-out voltage be 3.5v or higher. That way if you ever want to do a bigger build you can.Potentially, a smaller sub in the future, not 100% on that.
To be fairly honest, I don't know a whole lot about sounds systems.
Old - January 23rd, 2013, 01:23 PM
Drifffto

Quote:
To be fairly honest, I don't know a whole lot about sounds systems.
The stock amp on a 2nd gen car is actually pretty good and it would supply power to all of your speakers, not just the rears. Unfortunately I don't think the stock amp on a 92 will be worth the trouble. So if you want to boost your audio you would need one of these:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500KTP4...rv=13549236265

It is designed to use the same wiring as your headunit but it puts out 45watts rms rather than the 17-22 watts a head unit would produce.

And you won't need to remove the dash to replace the dash speakers, they pop out through the top. However when you install a component set you will need to run new wires to each location so that you can properly use the cross over that will come with the component set.
Old - January 23rd, 2013, 01:58 PM
Elite Member

Hmmm, ok. Sounds good. I thought the dash had to come out for the replacement of dash vents. I should have added that in my last post.

I few of the things I plan on stockpiling and doing all at once: Audio, climate control, vents, gauges.

As I get into this audio crap I will probably have more questions for you.
Old - January 23rd, 2013, 04:05 PM
Drifffto

Quote:
Hmmm, ok. Sounds good. I thought the dash had to come out for the replacement of dash vents. I should have added that in my last post.

I few of the things I plan on stockpiling and doing all at once: Audio, climate control, vents, gauges.

As I get into this audio crap I will probably have more questions for you.
Removing the stock vents does require you remove the dash, changing the speakers does not. Removing the dash is not necessary for replacing the guages but will definately help.

And when you have questions feel free to fire away.
Old - January 23rd, 2013, 04:53 PM
Elite Member

Oh Damn. I was under the impression the vents mounted from below. same with the gauges from the back.

I'll mainly have questions on audio components, not my box of rocks.
Old - January 24th, 2013, 06:11 PM
WWVD
Bounceback Champion, Bugz Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Yo dudes and dudettes, we doin' anything this weekend?

TT4ME is lookin at houses in Maryland Heights and Fenton on saturday, I told him I'd meet up for dinner and such Saturday night. Anybody down for hangin?

Also, I got two extra tickets to the Hobbit on Saturday Morning at 10:00AM for anybody that aint seen it.
Old - January 24th, 2013, 07:29 PM
STL Group
Parachute Panic Champion

I'm down
Old - January 24th, 2013, 09:06 PM
Elite Member

I would, even though I have no clue who that is, but I can't.