US3S Dodge Stealth and Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum

| Official Members List | Join US3S | News & Information| Sponsor List | US3S Stuff | 3S of the Month |

Go Back   US3S Dodge Stealth and Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum > Car Talk > Tunez and Soundz

Tunez and Soundz Post questions and comments regarding car stereos and other audio equipment

Old - May 12th, 2011, 06:53 PM
BPU Noober

Head Unit Advice?????

Well I decided to bite the bullet and I'm planning to change my Stock Head Unit for an aftermarket one. Now my question is what does everyone recommend?
I do want a touch screen if possible and I want one that does have an Aux that I can use to plug my ipod into. It can have GPS or not that does not play a huge factor. So any and all advice is welcome.

Two more questions what size are the Speakers in the VR-4 and should I replace the stock amp with an aftermarket one. I do have a 500 watt Boss amp lying around somewhere that has been barely used. Also so everyone knows as far as speakers and amp goes I don't want to break the bank something to consider.

My Regards, Brian

Last edited by REM152; - May 12th, 2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old - May 13th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Drifffto

Re: Head Unit Advice?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by REM152 View Post
Well I decided to bite the bullet and I'm planning to change my Stock Head Unit for an aftermarket one. Now my question is what does everyone recommend?
I do want a touch screen if possible and I want one that does have an Aux that I can use to plug my ipod into. It can have GPS or not that does not play a huge factor. So any and all advice is welcome.

Two more questions what size are the Speakers in the VR-4 and should I replace the stock amp with an aftermarket one. I do have a 500 watt Boss amp lying around somewhere that has been barely used. Also so everyone knows as far as speakers and amp goes I don't want to break the bank something to consider.

My Regards, Brian
Kenwood and Pioneer make resaonably inexpensive double din touch screen units. The Nav option will be the large force driving cost though. I would check Amazon for good deals.

As for the speakers these cars use 6.5" speakers up front and 6x9 speakers in the back. I would suggest getting a decent two-way 6x9 for the rear and a 6.5" component set for the front. The dash speakers are usually the first to go bad on these cars so if you swap in a component set in the front you can replace both the door and dash speaker at the same time. For cheap quality speakers I recomend the Infinity Reference line.

As for the amp, I am a fan of integrating the stock amplifiers on these cars since it only requires some radio wire harness work. You could swap in a bigger amp but if you aren't adding a sub I don't know that I would go to the trouble. But everyone has their own taste so I won't say adding an aftermarket amp is a bad idea.
Old - May 13th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Post Whore

Dumb question [as my dash speakers are bad]: How do you get to the dash speakers to replace them?

Gone, but never forgotten.

-------------------------------------------------

It's better not to race and think your car slow than drop the hammer and remove all doubt.

Mods:
Raceconcepts Slotted/Dimpled rotors
3SX Underweight crank pulley
Fidenza Flywheel & Spec Stage1 Clutch
AWS Deletion
4" K&N Cone
Exhaust: 3SX Downpipe -> Random Tech Cat -> HKS D2 Catback
Tomei BOV

Mods in Boxes:

Currently Broken:
Noisy Idler
Old - May 13th, 2011, 09:20 AM
BPU Noober

Are there any other companies that you would recommend other than Pioneer and Kenwood. The reason I ask is I want to be able to have as many options as possible.

My Regards, Brian
Old - May 13th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Drifffto

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCProgramr View Post
Dumb question [as my dash speakers are bad]: How do you get to the dash speakers to replace them?
They pop up out of the dash. A small 90* pick works well but pretty much any pry-tool will do the job.

Quote:
Are there any other companies that you would recommend other than Pioneer and Kenwood. The reason I ask is I want to be able to have as many options as possible.

My Regards, Brian
Its honestly a matter of personal preference, but any name brand unit would do like Alpine, Eclipse, Pioneer, Kendwood, Sony, and even Clarion. I am a little gun shy of JVC though.
Old - August 7th, 2011, 11:56 PM
STL Group

Mines a Kenwood. Although I don't have the money to replace the speakers yet or install the amp I have laying around my house :-l
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (40.2 KB, 18 views)

Old - September 9th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Uber Noober

Quote:

Two more questions what size are the Speakers in the VR-4 and should I replace the stock amp with an aftermarket one. I do have a 500 watt Boss amp lying around somewhere that has been barely used. Also so hid blue headlights knows as far as speakers and amp goes I don't want to break the bank something to consider.

My Regards, Brian
Kenwood is probably your best bet. Depending on which on you get that is. I heard the cheapers ones aren't really worth it's value. Although that's all from mouth, never seen one myself.
Old - September 12th, 2011, 12:02 AM
STL Group

I love my kenwood.. really a great brand mine has the aux port as well as the ipod hook up that you can run from the back of the system into the glove box
I also hooked up the DVD player to be able to play with the E-Brake off.
(I dont recomend watching movies and driving just a nice feature for the passenger on a trip)