US3S Dodge Stealth and Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum

| Official Members List | Join US3S | News & Information| Sponsor List | US3S Stuff | 3S of the Month |

Go Back   US3S Dodge Stealth and Mitsubishi 3000GT Forum > Car Talk > Stealth and 3000GT General Info

Stealth and 3000GT General Info General Questions and Comments regarding the Stealth and 3000GT. Newbie questions welcome.

Old - September 27th, 2017, 09:16 PM

Question 92 NA Stealth Major Issue

Hey guys, so thanks for letting me join this forum. Been trying to post on 3si but for some reason it isn't letting me, so, screw'em.

I've owned my 1992 Dodge Stealth R/T NA for about six years. I got it running once or twice around the time I first had it. It's been sitting since.

So as of the last few weeks I've been keeping it at my job to try and get it going because my last car has since been totaled. I replaced most major components such as;

Ignition Control Module
ECU Rebuild
MAF
CAF
Air Filter
Spark Plugs
Wires
Starter
Fuel Pump
Fuel Filter
Belts are okay, so no need to replace them just yet.

Where the problem lies:

Recently increased the idle to help with the stalling issue for once it gets running and turns over, BUT, once I shut the car OFF and try to turn it back on, Coils 1 and 3 Don't get a spark at all, and causes Coil 2 to fire off time, therefore leading to the car not turning over. (ONLY HAPPENS WHEN THE ENGINE BAY IS HOT, *OR RECENTLY RUNNING*).

*Car also turns over on first or second try after it sits and cools down a bit.

Did coils 1 and 3 go bad and just overheat? Worth replacing? Only things ignition wise I never changed and it seems to be an ignition issue. But why does it not spark when it was recently ran?

Could it be something else?

I work at pepboys and myself and a shop full of techs can't figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is going to be my daily driver and currently spending 30 bucks a day on a rental. Getting pricey and I need this car on the road ASAP.
Thank you in advance.

-Gilbert From Jersey

Last edited by grivera92stealth; - September 27th, 2017 at 09:22 PM.
Old - September 27th, 2017, 09:43 PM
Uber Noober

Re: 92 NA Stealth Major Issue

First things first, get it idling at the proper rpms when warmed up. This means using the long af manuals to guide you through the idle reset procedure (this includes grounding of terminals and what not while turning BISS).
Did you check cam and crank sensors? When my car would shut off warm it was due to those sensors on their last legs lol.
The manuals will be your greatest resource (they are free online just google it).
Old - September 27th, 2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razgriz View Post
First things first, get it idling at the proper rpms when warmed up. This means using the long af manuals to guide you through the idle reset procedure (this includes grounding of terminals and what not while turning BISS).
Did you check cam and crank sensors? When my car would shut off warm it was due to those sensors on their last legs lol.
The manuals will be your greatest resource (they are free online just google it).
From what I researched the cam and crank sensor are one piece, that's new and recently installed.

Its only when the car was recently ran, after it sits for a bit, they all spark up and it turns over.
Old - September 27th, 2017, 09:48 PM
Uber Noober

Ohh sorry totally overlooked you had a first gen. Ive never dealt with first gen crank/cam sensors so i cant put much info on them. Do you have the online manuals downloaded?
Old - September 27th, 2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razgriz View Post
Ohh sorry totally overlooked you had a first gen. Ive never dealt with first gen crank/cam sensors so i cant put much info on them. Do you have the online manuals downloaded?
I actually have the whole service manual on DVD(PDF) but the diagrams and such didn't really help much. We all looked at them and one person thinks its the coils, other people think its strictly a temperature issue, so we're all kinda lost.

Debating on tomorrow since I have easy accessibility to parts to just swap the two that don't fire, and see if it still gives me the issue. But I've already spent about a grand on parts and want to try to stay away from throwing more money in it if it's something simple to tweak.
Old - September 27th, 2017, 09:54 PM
Uber Noober

I totally understand what your coming from. Thats what id do, see if you can rule out/in componets and go from there. Btw, welcome to the forum!!!
Old - October 9th, 2017, 07:22 PM
Uber Noober

Did u ever get it running right?